Which Goldendoodle Generation is Best for Adoption?

Posted on

You may have decided to adopt Goldendoodle, because they seem to be the perfect fit for your lifestyle. Your next problem may be the various Goldendoodle generations, and now you may be wondering which Goldendoodle is best for adoption. Depending on the generation you choose, many traits may change in your dog, thus it is crucial to explore this area well before you decide which Goldendoodle generation that fits your lifestyle.

Which Goldendoodle Generation is Best for Adoption?

Actually, selecting the Goldendoodle generation for adoption will depend on the traits you want to be dominant in them. If you do not mind shedding, the first Goldendoodle generation is the best to pick because you are going to get the best of both worlds. If you are looking for a non-shedding dog, then you are able to go for an F1B Goldendoodle generation puppy. Please avoid getting F2 Goldendoodle or higher generations because there are really few ethical breeders for these generation Goldendoodles, and you may end up with a puppy from the backyard breeder.

Various Goldendoodle Generations

To choose which Goldendoodle generation is best for adoption, you should learn all various Goldendoodle Generations.

F1 – First Generation

F1 – First Generation

An F1 Goldendoodle is the direct result of breeding a Poodle with a Golden Retriever. Due to being first-generation hybrids, they own the health benefits which come hand-in-hand with a phenomenon known as hybrid vigor.

  • Shedding
    The majority of F1 Goldendoodles are light-shedding to heavy-shedding.
  • Allergy Potential
    Sometimes fine for the family with very mild allergies, however not recommended for those with moderate to severe allergies.
  • Coat
    Naturally, their coat can grow from 3 to 5 inches and needs combing as well as weekly grooming. You are able to choose to get the fur cut back every several months to make your pooch lower-maintenance in the upkeep department. They are able to have curly, straight or wavy coats.
  • Grooming
    Moderate to high requirements.

F1b – First Generation Backcross

F1b – First Generation Backcross

Need to know that backcrossing is breeding a hybrid back to one of the breeds it originates from. The “b” in F1b Goldendoodle means bred back to a purebred parent. It can be from a purebred Golden retriever or a purebred Poodle. Genetically, this means they are still first-generation.

  • Shedding
    50% of F1b puppies are non-shedding, but 50% of F1b puppies should inherit shedding traits from the F1 parent. It means that shedding levels will reflect that of an F1 (low to heavy shedding).
  • Allergy Potential
    50% chance of being hypoallergenic. And 50% chance of being low to heavy shedders. If the breeder coat tests the puppies, occasionally this factor can be known several weeks after birth.
  • Coat
    The appearance of this F1B generation’s fur depends on the traits inherited from its F1 parent. It can range anywhere from 3-5 inches or longer, and can be wavy, straight, or curly. If you are worried about the frequency of brushing, then you are able to choose to get their fur clipped back to save time on grooming and keep your dog comfortable, particularly in winter.
  • Grooming
    Moderate to high requirements.

F2 – Second Generation

F2 – Second Generation

These dogs are the result of breeding two F1 Goldendoodles together. Generally, this combination is not recommended by reputable breeders as there is a 75% chance of shedding puppies. Since both parents carry both Golden Retriever and Poodle genes, there is a 25 percent chance that the shedding Golden Retriever genes will unite in puppies, causing them to shed as much as a purebred Retriever.

  • Shedding
    50% should be low to heavy shedding, 25% should be non-shedding, and 25% should be fully shedding, just like a purebred Golden Retriever.
  • Allergy Potential
    We will not recommend these dogs to families with allergies due to the high chance of shedding, unless coat testing has been performed and the genetic makeup of your puppy was known by the breeder.
  • Coat
    F2 generation coats can be wavy, straight, or curly. Need to note that the coat texture of young puppies is not a reliable indicator of future shedding level, because the curl gene is distinct from the shedding gene.
  • Grooming
    This will vary significantly depending on the genetic mix the individual pup inherits.

F2b – Second Generation Backcross

F2b – Second Generation Backcross

Crossing an F1 Goldendoodle with an F1b Goldendoodle makes an F2b Goldendoodle. As a first-generation Goldendoodle, the F1 parent carries a predictable mix of coat traits, but the F1b Goldendoodle is a mystery. Unless genetic testing is performed on the F1b Goldendoodle parent, the litter can result in a litter similar to an F1b litter or F2 litter. Also, genetic screening for health diseases becomes more crucial whenever two parents with the same breed ancestry are mixed.

  • Shedding
    The F2b Goldendoodle puppy can be anywhere from non-shedding (25 to 50%), low to heavy shedding (50% odds), or shed as much as a full-retriever (0 to 25%). It will depend on what coat genes the F1b parent carries.
  • Allergy Potential
    Working with a breeder who coats tests parents or puppies will be the safest way for a family with allergies for adopting an F2b puppy.
  • Coat
    The coats may be wavy, curly or straight.
  • Grooming
    Moderate to high grooming requirements.

F3 and Multigenerational

F3 and Multigenerational

F3 dogs are produced by breeding an F1B dog to an F2B dog, F1B dog to an F1B dog, two F3 dogs, two F2B dogs, or an F2 dog to an F2 dog. When it gets to this stage, the breeders frequently refer to them as multi-generational.

  • Shedding
    If the breeder coat tests, it is possible to intentionally breed two parents with zero shedding potential for a full litter of non-shedding puppies. If the breeder does not know the genetic makeup of the parents, several guesswork is still at play, and puppies of any shedding level can be made.
  • Allergy Potential
    Working with a breeder who is familiar with genetic coat testing is the safest way for a family with allergies for adopting a Multigenerational puppy.
  • Coat
    The coats may be wavy, curly or straight. Although it is rarer to produce non-shedding puppies with straight coats, but it is still possible. Usually, multigenerational coats are curly or wavy.
  • Grooming
    Moderate to high grooming requirements.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.