While talking about the fruits that are able to be consumed by dogs, watermelon cannot be excluded. This one makes it to the list as it has a lot of benefits. For those who have no idea of the benefits of this fruit for dogs, here are some of them:
- Vitamins: There are a few vitamins in watermelon that are good for your dog. The first one is Vitamin A, which is known to be good for eye, cell and immune health. The next one is Vitamin B6. This one refers to the vitamin that is good for the coat of the dog as it can make it shiny and strong. Lastly, there is Vitamin C, which is useful to keep allergens and sniffles at bay.
- Fiber: Watermelon also has fiber that wraps around the sugar and slows its natural disease. This kind of thing also has a number of benefits. One of its benefits is to promote good gut health.
- Lycopene: The next thing that is contained in watermelon is lycopene. There is a large amount of it in this fruit. His one refers to a phytochemical. It is found in naturally red fruits and vegetables such as watermelon. Lycopene is good as an antioxidant. It has the ability to fight free radicals in the dog system, the one that can damage the cells of the dog and cause issues in its immune system. It has been proven by the research that it can be good to slow down the growth of cancer.
- Water: In addition, there is also water in watermelon. It means it is both low in calories and hydrating. That’s why it is a good alternative to pre-packaged treats when the sun is like on top of the head. If it is given to your dog occasionally, the watermelon can provide the dog with a lot of different nutritional benefits. One of the benefits includes improving gastrointestinal upset stomachs.
As watermelon is full of good things, you can give it to your dog once and awhile so that it will be able to get additional nutrients. When you enjoy this fruit during summer, do not hesitate to give your dog a try if it looks like drooling. Similar to humans like you, your dog would love the flavor and the texture of this fruit.
While serving watermelon to your dog, make sure to not let it eat the rind of the watermelon. If your dog accidentally eats the rind of the watermelon, do not freak out as it is fine. Actually, a rind of watermelon does not contain any poisons. It is considered dangerous for the health of the dog as it can be hard for the dog to digest this part of the fruit. It is also possible for the watermelon rind to cause blockage in the digestive system of the dog. In addition, it can also be a choking hazard as it is really tough. So, if your dog accidentally eats a small amount of it, there should be no issues with it.
Then, how much watermelon rind is bad for dogs? The watermelon rind is considered bad for dogs if it is consumed in large portions by the dog. If you see your dog ate too much watermelon, you are suggested to give your veterinarian a call right away. When talking to them, you will be informed what you should do to keep the dog safe. Besides, it is also possible for you to be asked to bring your dog to their place so that they can perform a physical examination to predict if the dog has any issues digesting the rind of the watermelon. If needed, they may involve a scan to get a better understanding of the health of the dog.
If the dog seems to be healthy even after consuming the rind of watermelon and the scan does not show something strange, you may be asked by your veterinarian to return to your home and to take your dog with you. While at home, you are usually tasked to keep an eye on your dog. If the dog does something unusual or shows a sign of discomfort, there is a chance that something goes wrong. If it is followed by stomach pain or digestive issues, it may be caused by eating watermelon rind. If your dog also whines, looks tired and has no energy, the chance of it being caused by eating watermelon rind is higher. Make sure to tell everything to your veterinarian and ask them what you should do.
Actually, the watermelon rind is not the only thing that is not recommended to be given to the dogs. If you are curious about the others and have no idea about them, they are the watermelon seeds. Similar to watermelon rind that does not contain poison, watermelon seeds are not good for the dogs if consumed in a large amount as they can cause intestinal blockage. It is the reason why as the owner of the dog you should not serve watermelon with seeds or allow your dog to eat watermelon with seeds.
Talking about giving watermelon to the dogs, there are a few best ways to serve it to the dogs, as follows:
- Ice cream: Firstly, blend frozen watermelon chunks. Then, add plan, unsweetened yogurt. After that, put it in the bowl and let the dog eat it.
- In chunks: You can slice watermelon and then remove the rinds and seeds.
- Frozen chunks: First of all, get rid of the rind and the seeds of watermelon. Next, freeze it in the freezer. Lastly, take it out of the freezer and serve it to the dog.
- Puree: Remove the seeds and rinds from watermelon and then puree the fruit before putting it in the ice cube tray to freeze it.
If you want to give some other fruits aside from watermelon to your dogs, some other ones that you can consider include bananas, apples, blueberries, mangos, cantaloupe, pumpkins, and so on.