After getting your Goldendoodle and taking care of it since it was only a few weeks, your puppy may be about to reach 6 month old. Before the time comes, you may be wondering what to expect so that you can prepare everything well. So, what should you expect from your 6 month old Goldendoodle?
A 6 month old Goldendoodle should be lively. Aside from that, it should be very affectionate and easy to train, as always. When your puppy is 6 month old, it will like playing with their toys while they will also love to be around with family. During this time, they are like kids who will be excited to learn new things and please everyone.
What about health? What should you expect from the health of your 6 month old Goldendoodle? At this stage, the puppy may have ear infections early in life due to their highly unique genes compared to most purebreds.
After finding out the brief information about what to expect from your 6 month old Goldendoodle, check out the other information about a 6 month old Goldendoodle below:
A 6 month old Goldendoodle should be between 14 and 15 inches tall. As for the average height of Mini Goldendoodles at this age is 7-8 inches. During this period, they have to earn a minimum of 70% of their adult height. However, it is not always like that and it may be different due to several reasons. Some of the things that affect it include diet and exercise.
In case your 6 month old Goldendoodle does not seem to grow taller and remains short at the top and bottom of its body, keep calm as it may reach its full size on the sides.
What about the weight? Check out the weight that a 6 month old Goldendoodle should have below:
- Standard Goldendoodle male: The weight of this one when it is 6 month old should be 37-42 pounds.
- Standard Goldendoodle female: The weight of this one when it is 6 month old should be 32-37 pounds.
- F1 Goldendoodle male: The weight of this one when it is 6 month old should be 33-38 pounds.
- F1 Goldendoodle female: The weight of this one when it is 6 month old should be 27-32 pounds.
- F1B Goldendoodle male: The weight of this one when it is 6 month old should be 17-22 pounds.
- F1B Goldendoodle female: The weight of this one when it is 6 month old should be 15-20 pounds.
- Mini Goldendoodle Male: The weight of this one when it is 6 month old should be 23-25 pounds.
- Mini Goldendoodle Female: The weight of this one when it is 6 month old should be 20-24 pounds.
Gradually increasing its food intake over a few weeks is the best method that you can try if you want to determine its ideal weight. In case it keeps losing weight, try to adjust its food intake accordingly.
When your Goldendoodle is 6 months old, you should give it a 25%-30% meat diet. You can also give wet food, low fat food, and high protein food. Do not forget to also give it water. As for the rest, it should be made of vegetables and fruits. If your puppy is a Miniature one, focus more on vegetables and fruit since it tends to eat less at this age. Feel free to also use dry dog food in small amounts.
In general, Goldendoodles are known to be playful and inquisitive when they are 6 month old. However, it is possible for them to start doing a few things below as they get older:
- Barking: When playing, do not be surprised if your 6 month old Goldendoodle barks. While it does not mean anything bad, it can be annoying if it does it too often. If you think it is too much, try to teach your puppy to be quiet.
- Biting: As your puppy will usually be playful at this age, it may start biting when it is excited or when it tries to get attention. Sometimes, it is a must for you to teach your puppy a manners if it does it extremely.
At the age of 8 month, a Goldendoodle puppy needs 6 to 8 hours of sleep each day. However, the number needed can be more for some of them. As the owner, you should make sure for your puppy to get a good amount of sleep for the sake of its health. If it is hard for your puppy to close its eyes, try to turn off the likes of TV, handphone, and so on before bedtime. Besides, you can also try to make its bed comfortable. In addition, try to make it take a rest and do not give it too many activities. In case no one of these methods works, you are suggested to take your puppy to a vet to find out what is actually happening with it.
For a 6 month old Goldendoodle, you can give 2 hours of exercise every day, which can be divided into 30 minutes of vigorous activity and 30 minutes of moderate activity per day. Before starting everything, it is better for you to discuss with your vet. Ask them about the exercise program for your puppy. Plus, you can also ask them about its health and its activity levels.
At this age, your puppy should be able to walk about a mile and half per day. Add it to the activity that it should do to keep it fit and healthy in the future. To know more, seek your vet and ask them.
A Goldendoodle that is 6 month old should be easy to train and should respond well to positive reinforcement. As the owner, you can try to teach your puppy simple obedience commands such as sit, down, stay, come, and so on. Once they are good at these, move to more advanced commands.